Circular Head is a district in Tasmania. It encompasses the towns of Forest, South Forest, Smithton, Stanley and Marrawah. There is a section devoted to the Pioneers of Circular Head on this website. Circular Head is a region in the North-West of Tasmania. Settlement in the area was driven by the establishment of the Van Diemen's Land Company in 1824 (granted Royal Charter in 1825), and many of the initial families in the area were employed by the VDL Co.