South Australia was established as a separate British colony in 1836. Prior to that it was considered part of New South Wales. The Act establishing the new colony -
...acknowledged Aboriginal ownership and stated that no actions could be undertaken that would affect the rights of any Aboriginal natives of the said province to the actual occupation and enjoyment in their own persons or in the persons of their descendants of any land therein now actually occupied or enjoyed by such natives. Although the patent guaranteed land rights under force of law for the indigenous inhabitants it was ignored by the South Australian Company authorities and squatters.1
South Australian Locations
The following South Australian locations are mentioned on this site:
The following codes are used for South Australian districts (the Adelaide Proformat website has a comprehensive "District Registrars of Births, Deaths & Marriages in South Australia" page, and a "South Australian Places and their BDM District (1991)" page).
Code District Ade Adelaide Ang Angaston Bar Barossa BaW Barossa West Bur Burra Cla Clare Cra Crawford Dal Daly EnB Encounter Bay Fli Flinders Fro Frome Gil Gilbert Gre Grey
Code District Hig Highercombe Hin Hindmarsh Kap Kapunda KI Kangaroo Island MoV Morphett Vale MPE Munno Para East MPW Munno Para West MtB Mount Barker Nai Nairne Nor Norwood Onk Onkaparinga Pal Palmerston Pin Pinnaroo
Code District Pir Pirie PtA Port Adelaide PtG Port Gawler Rob Robe Str Strathalbyn Tal Talunga TMu The Murray UpW Upper Wakefield Wel Wellington Wil Willunga Yan Yankalilla Yat Yatala
South Australian Hotels
The following South Australian Hotels are discussed on this site:
South Australian Shipping
The following ships mentioned on this site were bound for South Australia:
South Australian Resources
- Australian Dictionary of Biography: Entries for people who were born in South Australia; http://adb.anu.edu.au/biographies/search/?query=bstatef:%22South+Austral...
- Australian Dictionary of Biography: Entries for people who died in South Australia; http://adb.anu.edu.au/biographies/search/?query=dstatef:%22South+Austral...
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Community Trees; http://histfam.familysearch.org/showtree.php?tree=SouthAustralia
- Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure: Property Location Browser; http://maps.sa.gov.au/plb/
- Genealogy SA: Online Databases; http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html
- History SA and the Department of Education and Children's Services: Bound for South Australia; http://boundforsouthaustralia.net.au/
- Leadbeater, Maureen M: Counties and Hundreds of South Australia; http://www.ach.familyhistorysa.info/hundreds.html
- Loyau, George E.: Notable South Australians; http://archive.org/details/notablesouthaus01loyagoog (Internet Archive)