Agnes Byres was born 5 January and baptised on 2 February 1834, in Ecclesmachan, West Lothian, Scotland. 1
Agnes Byres married John Hay at Mt Seymour on 1 April 1858. 2 John Hay snr was the son of William Hay and Margaret Shields, baptised at Corstophine, Scotland, on 19 May 1832.
Agnes and John would go on to have ten children.
- William Cooper HAY (1858-1924) married Catherine Victoria CAMPBELL (1855-1917) in 1878
- Margaret (May) Wilson HAY (1860-1937) married Thomas CAMPBELL (1856-1935) in 1878
- John HAY jnr (1861-?)
- Catherine (Katie) HAY (1863-1942) never married.
- James Byers HAY (1865-1927) married (1) Catherine (Kate) Hay WILSON (1886-1919) in 1889: married (2) Bessie ABRAHAM (c1862-1937) in 1922
- Robert Shields HAY (1866-1908) married Eva Maud ROBERTS (1870-1963) in 1892
- Agnes (Aggie) Byers HAY (1868-1926) never married
- Thomas (Tom) Wilson HAY (1871-?) married Rosalie Mary WILSON (1866-1946) in 1897
- Isabella (Bell) Byers HAY (1873-1959) married David Stephens WILSON (1862-1923) in 1897
- George Wilson Byers HAY (1875-1928) married Margaret Florence WILSON (1876-1953) in 1897
John Hay, the husband of Agnes Byres, died on 26 March 1903 in Tunnack, Tasmania. 3
HAY. - On March 26, at Rosedale, Tunnack, John Hay; beloved husband of Agnes Hay, in his 71st year. Loved and respected by all who knew him. Funeral will leave bis late residence, Saturday, 28th inst., at 9 a.m., for Oatlands. No flowers. 4
Agnes Hay (nee Byres) died on 22 October 1907:
HAY - At Mount Nasua, Agnes, the beloved widow of the late John Hay, of Tunnack; aged 74 years. Funeral at Oatlands, leaving Tremaine's (undertaker) 2.30 p.m., Thursday. No flowers. 5