From Dr. James Ross's "Hobart Town Almanack" of 1830:—
"Leaving East Bay Neck (now Dunalley), the road leads along the northern shore of a large inlet from the east, which ought properly to be called East Bay. The mouth of this inlet is called the First Sandspit, being open to the eastern sea. It would afford shelter to vessels of small burthen only, the entrance being sandy and shallow, and a heavy swell often setting in from the ocean. From the Second Sandspit a fine sandy beach extends along the coast to the north for several miles, upon which a very heavy surf is constantly rolling, and which, although certain destruction to any boat that approaches it, yet presents a grand and impressive spectacle to the eye of the traveller. A small stream, called Bream Creek, here falls into the sea, from the hills on the west. The road still winds along the coast, and, passing over a steep rocky headland, we arrive at the grazing farm of Captain Glover, on the Sandspit River, upwards of 20 miles from the Carlton. The track still continues along the beach for about eight miles, when it reaches the mouth of Prosser River, and joins the road from Brushy Plains (now Runneymede). The country on each bank of this river, for nine miles from its mouth, is steep and rocky, and is not yet inhabited."
Walch's "Tasmanian Guide Book" of 1871, thus refers to Bream Creek:—
"The population of Bream Creek is very scattered, consisting of a number of small settlers, who occupy the sides and summits of the hills around. The soil is good, but from its position, difficult to cultivate. The term Ragged Tier, applied to the hill range here, if not euphonious, is certainly descriptive. One building suffices for church, chapel, and schoolhouse. The river abounds with bream."
Middleton and Maning's "Tasmanian Directory and Gazetteer" of 1887 records:—
"Bream Creek, post town, money order office, and savings bank, about 20 miles from Sorell, situated on the creek, whose name it bears, near the head of Marion Bay, 30 miles east of Hobart. It is in the county of Pembroke, and municipality and electoral district of Sorell. It has a public school and two places of worship. Agricultural district."
From the same source has been culled the following names of settlers then residing in the district; John W. Allanby, John A. Alomes, Christian Bender, William Bloomfield, Alfred Brown, Henry, Walter, and George Burdon, Mrs. Beddelph, senior, Mrs. Jemima Bellette, James Bellette, Tho-mas Cleary, William and August Clifford, George, Patrick, and Tasman Copping, John Corbet, senior and junior, George Churchill, William Clark, John and Thomas Dunbabin, Charles and John Dransfield, Walter Dalton, James Fazackerley, Charles Featherstone, Patrick Freeman, John Green, David Hildyard, Thomas Hickings, Jacob, Jacobson. William Kingston, senior and junior, Charles, George, John, and W. G. Kingston, Mrs. Elizabeth Kingston, Francis Little, Thomas McGuinness, Alfred and Samuel Mundy, Michael O'Brien. John Paul, George Paul, Edward Richardson, George, Thomas, and William Riley, Henry Smith, Charles Tatnell, Wm. Townsend, Jonathan and John Tunbridge, Sydney Walsh, Henry Wiggins, Henry Williams, James Williams, and Elias and John Woolley. Most of the addresses of the above were given as Ragged Tier, which to-day practically embraces three districts — Bream Creek (on the eastern side), Kellevie (north-western), and Copping (southern).
Needless to add, many names of the settlers above-mentioned, are still preserved in the district of Bream Creek, now clearly defined from its two neighbouring districts — Allanby, Alomes, Clifford, Dunbabin, Jacobson, Kingston, Riley, Smith, Tatnell, and Brown. In addition to these well-known family names in the district may be mentioned those of Cooley, Featherstone, Ford, Campbell, and Wylie. 1