George Wilson and Jane Thirkell

George Wilson was born on 28 January 1831 and baptised on 17 April 1831 in Muiravonside, Stirling, Scotland.1 George Wilson married Jane Elizabeth Thirkell on 12 June 1862 in St. John’s Church, Launceston.2 Jane was born on 3 January 1846 and baptised on 18 February 1846 in Launceston, Tasmania, the daughter of Robert Thirkell and Jane Elizabeth Schutte.3

According to K. R. von Stieglitz in A Short History of Cressy and Bishopbourne:

Robert Thirkell, who had come with his wife and family on the "Malabar" in October, 1821, was given a grant at Bridport shortly after arriving. Later he came to "Newham Park," which adjoins "Darlington" and managed the property for his friend, Simpson, for several years. He also owned "Woodstock" after the Rowcrofts had left. Robert's three sons were George, the eldest, James and Robert Jun. Of his daughters, Elizabeth married James Cox, of "Clarendon" and Fanny married William Brock. George had "Darlington Park" and later bought "Newham" and "Leverington," to which he added "Pockthorpe" in the '60s. James was left "Pockthorpe" by his father.4

The ship Malabar did indeed arrive in 1821 with a consignment of convicts, but there is no mention of Robert Thirkell. One of the convicts on board was Thomas Thirkill, but it is unknown if there is any connection between the two men.

Helen Brown has reported on a Rootsweb Noticeboard that Robert Thirkell ... came on the Caroline but is not listed, being brought from Durham by TC Simpson as his overseer.5 Helen was probably working from research conducted by her father Don Norman who relates that Robert Thirkell worked for Thomas Cookson Simpson on his land grant on the Macquarie river, and over time purchased or was granted his own land in the area.6

George Wilson and Jane Elizabeth Thirkell had the following children.






George Robert Thirkell

bn. 15 Aug 1864

Oatlands, TAS7


Isabella Maria Gage

dd. 14 Oct 1938

Richmond, TAS


Frances Elizabeth Erskine

bn. 05 Feb 1866

Oatlands, TAS8



dd. 17 Jan 1944

Burnie, TAS


John Alfred Ernest

bn. 13 Nov 1867

Oatlands, TAS9


Alice Gertrude

dd. 07 Jun 1954

Lindisfarne, TAS


Jane Louisa Marion 

bn. 26 Oct 1869

Oatlands, TAS10


Albert Somerville

dd. 27 Feb 1944

Hobart, TAS


Alice Maria

bn. 27 Oct 1871

Oatlands, TAS11


Mark Hugill

dd. 09 Dec 1928

Launceston, TAS


Seymour Braidwood

bn. 16 Aug 1873

Oatlands, TAS12


Beryl Lakeland

dd. 11 Nov 1939

Hobart, TAS


Marion Constance

bn. 17 Jun 1875

Oatlands, TAS13


Clarence Lorenzo

dd. 19 Jun 1932

Masterton, NZ


James Leslie Claude

bn. 29 Jun 1877

Oatlands, TAS14


Cleta Ann


Napier, NZ


Ethel Mary

bn. 15 Oct 1879

Oatlands, TAS15



dd. 23 Aug 1963

Taroona, TAS


Gordon Erskine

bn. 20 Mar 1884

Oatlands, TAS16


Evaline Elizabeth

dd. 00 XXX 1969

New Zealand

George Wilson Jnr.
George Wilson Jnr
Ian Byers
Jane Elizabeth Thirkell
Jane Elizabeth Thirkell
Ian Byers

John Alfred Ernest Wilson married Alice Gertrude Griffith on 11 January 1890 in Richmond, Tasmania.17 Alice was born about 1867, the daughter of John Valentine Griffith and Ann Jane Burn.18 John Valentine Griffith was the son and nephew of Charles and John Griffith who had led a party of settlers from Wales to South Africa. Both men ultimately settled in Tasmania.19 John Wilson and Alice Griffith had three children that have been traced.

WILSON-GRIFFITH. On January 11, at St. Luke's Church, Richmond, by Rev H. W. Hugill, John Alfred, second son of George Wilson, of Belmont, to Gertrude, third daughter of the late John V. Griffith, Ricnmond.20

Frances Elizabeth Erskine Wilson married Charles Griffith on 28 June 1890 in Richmond, Tasmania.21 Charles was born on 12 Auguest 1857 in Richmond, Tasmania, the son of John Valentine Griffith and Ann Jane Burn.22 Charles and Frances had three children that have been traced.

Jane Louisa Marion Wilson married Albert Somerville Flexmore on 30 August 1890 in Richmond, Tasmania.23 Albert was born on 24 July 1847 in Brighton, Tasmania, the son of Francis Flexmore and Charlotte Peters.24 Albert and Jane had two children that have been traced.

FLEXMORE-WILSON. On August 30, at St. Luke's Church, Richmond, by Rev. H. W. Hugill, Albert Somerville Flexmore, of Richmond Park to Jeannie, second daughter of Geo. Wilson, Esq., of Belmont.25

Marion Constance Wilson married Clarence Lorenzo Griffith on 28 November 1890 in Hobart, Tasmania.26 Clarence was born on 8 November 1868 in Richmond, Tasmania, the son of John Valentine Griffith and Ann Jane Burn.27 Clarence and Marion had six children that have been traced.

George Robert Thirkell Wilson married Isabella Maria Gage Brock on 27 April 1892 in St. George’s Church at Old Beach in the Brighton district of Tasmania. The witnesses were Alexander Brock, Mary Brock and I. B. Campbell.28 Isabella was born on 7 December 1864 in Brighton, Tasmania, the daughter of Alexander Brock and Maria Cecilia Gage.29 No children have been traced for this couple.

Alice Maria Wilson married Mark Hugill (Hugh) Hirst on 17 April 1897 in Hobart, Tasmania.30 Mark was born on 8 May 1872 in the West Riding of Yorkshire in England, the son of Mark Hirst and Mary Hugill. Mark arrived in Australia when he was ten with his mother. Mark and Alice had seven children that have been traced.31

Ethel Mary Wilson married Leslie Norman on 3 October 1900 in the Congregational Church in New Town, Tasmania.32 Leslie was born on 5 July 1876 in Hobart, Tasmania, the son of Frederick William Norman and Margaret Anne Hurburgh.33 Leslie and Ethel had five children that have been traced, one of whom was Don Norman, the author of the volume devoted to George Wilson, his brothers and descendants.

Ethel Mary Norman nee Wilson
Ethel Mary Norman nee Wilson

According to Don Norman the following report about his mother’s wedding was published in the Mercury on 4 October 1900 but no such report has been found. No doubt it was published, but perhaps the date was incorrectly reported.

A very pretty wedding took place at the Congregational Church, New Town, on Wednesday the 3rd instant. The bridegroom was Mr. Leslie Norman (Sandy Bay) and the bride, Miss Ethel Wilson, the youngest daughter of Mr. George Wilson Junr., of New Town (formerly of “Huntworth”, Jericho). The bride, who was given away by her father, looked lovely in a graceful gown of white worked Indian muslin trimmed with Valenciennes lace and satin. Her veil was a very handsome one of beautiful Honiton lace, and she carried a show bouquet of white azaleas, sweet peas, and asparagus fern. The bride[smaid] was Miss Cox of “Clarendon”, Evandale, cousin of the bride, who wore a becoming costume of pale blue silk, with cream lace yoke strapped with green velvet, chiffon and roses.

Mrs. Wilson, mother of the bride, wore black merveileaux, with vest of cream satin, and small jet bonnet trimmed with pink chiffon. Mrs. Norman, mother of the bridegroom, wore an elegant black gown bonnet ensuite, trimmed with purple violets. Mrs. Albert Flexmore of “Claremont House”, Claremont (sister of the bride) wore a handsome frock of green and white silk, white hat with black velvet and scarlet geraniums. Mrs. Hirst, (sister of the bride) a pretty gown of blue flowered muslin, and black picture hat. Miss Norman, sister of the bridegroom, cream cashmere, cream coloured hat with ostridge feathers. Mrs. Brock, pretty frock of navy blue, with cream silk yoke and vest, jet bonnet with pink chiffon.

As the bridal party left the church they were greeted with a shower of rose-leaves thrown by half a dozen pretty children who were – Misses Coralie Flexmore, Jeannie Griffith, Kathleen Brock, Doris Brock (all in costumes of soft lace, trimmed with white muslin, and large white Leghorn hats), and the boys were Masters George and Winston Thirkell.

Mr. and Mrs. Norman left for Launceston by train for their honeymoon in weather that was rather rainy and dull. Fortunately, as if old Sol were determined in spite of Aquarius, to show the young couple that he smiled upon their union, just as they were about to get into their travelling carriage, he shone forth from the clouds in full radiance, bathing them in his golden light.34

James Leslie Claude Wilson married Cleta Ann Thirkell on 5 February 1902 in St. Andrew’s Church in Hobart, Tasmania.35 Cleta is the daughter of Robert Alfred Thirkell and Ellen Symmons, but her birth doesn’t appear to have been registered.36 James and Cleta had four children that have been traced.

WILSON-THIRKELL. On February 5, at St. Andrew's Church, by the Rev. Dr. Scott, James L. C. Wilson, of Richmond Park, to Clara A., youngest daughter of the the late Robert Thirkell, of Woodstock, Longford.37

Seymour Thomas Braidwood Wilson married Beryl Lakeland Benson on 21 August 1906 in the Davey street Congregational Church in Hobart, Tasmania.38 Beryl was born on 8 July 1882 in Clarence, Tasmania, the daughter of William Benson and Lucy Charlotte Westbrook.39 Seymour and Beryl had three children that have been traced.

WILSON—BENSON. On August 21, at the Davey-st. Congregational Church, by the Rev. A. B. Rofe, Seymour, third son of Mr. George Wilson, Bellerive, to Beryl, eldest daughter of Mr. William Benson, Bellerive.40

George Wilson Snr., the husband of Jane Elizabeth Thirkell, died on 27 November 1906 in Bellerive, Tasmania.41

WILSON-On November 27 at his late residence, Bellerive, George Wilson, aged 75. Funeral will leave Bellerive at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday Next, for Cornelian Bay Cemetery.42

An obituary was published on 28 November 1906.


The death occurred yesterday, at Bellerive, of Mr. George Wilson, who for many years was a resident of Oatlands. The deceased gentleman at one time took an active interest in municipal affairs, and always stood high in public esteem. He was Warden of Oatlands, and in 1887 was made a justice of the peace. For many years he was also Government assessor for his district. Towards the close of his life ill-health prevented him from taking any active part in the public affairs to which formerly he had devoted much time and attention. At the time of his demise he was in his 75th year. The funeral will leave Bellerive at 9.30 a.m. to-morrow for the Cornelian Bay Cemetery.43

George was buried on 29 November 1906 in the Cornelian Bay Cemetery in Hobart, Tasmania.44

Gordon Erskine Wilson emigrated to New Zealand and married Evaline Elizabeth Dagg on 30 March 1920.45 Evaline was born on 31 May 1892 in New Zealand, the daughter of Henry John Dagg and Elizabeth Sarah Wilton.46

Gordon and Evaline (known as Eva) had three children that have been traced.

Seymour Wilson and Beryl Wilson, nee Benson, were engaged in divorce proceedings in 1922. The following report on the process was published in September 1922.


In the Practice Court yesterday, before Mr Justice Crisp, Mr C S Page (Page, Hodgman, and Seager) moved for an order fixing the time and mode of trial in the divorce case of Mrs Beryl. M Wilson, residing at Burnie, against Seymour T B Wilson, farmer, the petition being on the ground of desertion. Counsel asked that the trial take place at Burnie on October 10, and that the evidence be taken orally.

Mr F. Lodge appeared for the respondent, and opposed the motion on the ground that when the citation was extracted, the respondent was domiciled in New Zealand, and desired to appeal against the decision of Mr Justice Ewing at Burnie, in which he held that the respondent, for the purposes of the petition, was domiciled in Tasmania, and opposed the trial of the petition at Burnie. He read an affidavit by the respondent, stating that in 1920 he was resident in the Hawkes Bay district of New Zealand, and subsequently got employment in Auckland; that in 1921 he had a dairy faim about 100 miles north of Auckland, on which he laid out his remaining capital of under £300 He sustained losses, and had to give it up, and got employment on a dairy farm, also at a butter factory and on a station and had now returned to Tasmania, staying with friends, but was cut of employment. He hoped to go back to New Zealand when prospects there improved, intending to make New Zealand his permanent home. Counsel upon this submitted that the Court had no jurisdiction to hear the petition in Tasmania, that the Tasmanian Parliament had no right to pass a law on the question of domicile, which would affect the rights of a New Zealand citizen, and so the respondent entered a protest against the petition, and said he had had no means to go to Burnie to contest the petition. The section of the Tasmanian Act (10 Geo. V.) referring to domicile within three years in Tasmania as sufficient was beyond the capacity of the Tasmanian Parliament to enact in reference to a person having acquired a domicile in New Zealand The respondent was prepared to show that his conduct towards his wife was not blameable, but that the petitioner's conduct towards him was blameable, and he had not the means to go to Burnie and engage counsel there, but could appear in Hobart.

His Honor. And Mr Page says that the petitioner has not the means to come to Hobart with her mother and other witnesses to have the petition heard here.

Mr Lodge said the respondent would be prepared to meet the petitioner s reasonable expenses.

His Honor Mr Justice Ewing made an order settling the question of domicile, and Mr Page now asks to have the time and mode of trial of the petition at Burnie fixed. If the respondent wants to appeal against that decision I am prepared to adjourn this morning's application to some reasonable date to give him the opporturity of appealing. Mr Lodge asked for an adjournment accordingly.

His Honor, after further argument, adjourned the further hearing of Mr Page's motion till Morday next to give Mr Lodge an opportunity to enter an appeal against Mr Justice Ewing s decisión on the domicile question, and, failing that, Mr Page's motion to be dealt with on Monday in the usual way. He intimated that if the trial of the petition was to be heard in Hobart instead of in Burnie the respondent would have to put up a sum of money to pay the expenses of the petitioner and her witnesses in coming from Burnie.47

The divorce proceedings were brought to a conclusion in February 1923.


In this case, Mr. Les. Hudson, of Hodgman, Rockliff and Hudson, appeared for the petitioner, and moved for a decree nisi. He said his client, Beryl L. Wilson, asked for a divorce from her husband, Seymour Thomas Wilson, on the grounds of habitual drunkenness and cruelty. The pleadings had already been read.

The petitioner said that she married the respondent in 1906 at Hobart. There were three children of the marriage, aged 15, 11 and 10 years. She had lived with her husband at various places in Tasmania, as detailed at previous hearings. For the past few years she had lived at Burnie with her mother, who had supported her and her children. Her husband had not contributed to their support. Her husband would drink for a fortnight at a time. This had gone on ever since they were married. He used to get helplessly drunk. When in this state, he was always threatening to shoot her. He used also to hit and abuse her. He also held her head over a sink and threatened to cut her throat with a carving knife.

Youla L. Benson, sister of the petitioner, said that she had stayed on various occasions with her sister and husband, and had seen him, when drunk, threaten to strike her. He was always “at the liquor” and often would be drunk for a week at a time. Sometimes he would be drunk for a fortnight.He had done this sort of thing eversince he had been married.

His Honor granted a decree nisi, while custody of the children was given to the wife. The rule was made returnable at the next sitting of the court at Burnie in not less than four months time.48

Charles Griffiths, the husband of Frances Elizabeth Erskine Wilson, died on 12 July 1924 in Burnie, Tasmania.49 An obituary was published shortly after highlighting Charles’ career as a police office.

Death of Mr. C. Griffith.

Ex-Superintendent Charles Griffith, whose death occurred at Burnie late on Saturday night, was connected with the Police Force in Tasmania for quarter of a century, and his death has removed not only one, who as a police official was respected and esteemed by all with whom he came into contact, but a valuable citizen.

Since his appointment as Superintendent of the North-Western police division (which embraces the whole of the North West and West Coasts) in 1917 the deceased gentleman had resided at Burnie, the headquarters of the district, and he made a wide circle of friends. The duties of a police officer are difficult, and such an official can easily make many enemies - merely by carrying out his duties But in the deceased, the Police Department had a tactful and efficient officer, whose kindly disposition and keen sense of duty won him the admiration of every one.

In choosing the career he did, the deceased: followed in the footsteps of his, father, who was a Superintendent of the Municipal Police at Richmond in the early days before the time of the centralisation of police in this State. In those days the municipalities each had their own police - a state of affairs which existed in Tasmania until 1899, when the centralisation scheme, which had been passed the previous year, was put into effect.

Mr. Griffith commenced his career as a police constable in the municipal police at Spring Bay, on the East Coast of Tasmania, and he was quickly promoted. When the centralisation scheme came into force in 1899, he was transferred to Zeehan as a sub-inspector as successor to Sub-Inspector Wm. Paice, who retired from the force many years ago, and is now residing in the Burnie district.

After spending a term at the West Coast centre, Mr. Griffith was transferred to Bothwell, in the Southern Midlands, where he was stationed as a sub-inspector until 1906, when he was transferred to Sorell, South Eastern Tasmania. He had charge at that centre until 1914, was then transferred to New Norfolk, and promoted to the status of inspector. Mr. Griffth was stationed at the lastnamed centre until the time of his appointment as superintendent of the North-western district in 1917, which position capably filled until August 8, 1922, when he reached the retiring age and severed his connection with the Police Department.

On the occasion of his retirement from the force the members of the force from all parts of the district assembled at Burnie to pay a tribute to their "chief," and he was presented with a wallet of notes as a practical demonstration of their goodwill. In making the presentation a leading member of the force paid the retiring "super" a glowing tribute.

Superintendent Griffith, he said, had always been a most considerate head, and had won the esteem of every member of the force under him; a man who always impressed upon those under him to be fair and impartial in the discharge of their duties; and one who the Police Department could ill-afford to lose. Yet the circumstances were such that he was compelled to relinquish office.

The Superintendent's reply to the speakers is worthy of reproduction. It is indicative of the type of man the deceased was. "There are times," he said, "when you have to 'rub up against' a man, but I have always endeavored, to give any man who has made a mistake a helping hand, rather than be harsh on him. There is much good in the worst of us. As far as my men are concerned, I have always tried to treat them as I would have them treat me. We have been a very happy family, and it is with the greatest regret that I am severing my connection with the force."

On his retirement the position of superintendent of the North-Western Division was filled by Superintendant J. Lonergan, who like the late Mr. Griffith, has had a very lengthy service - 30 years - with the force.

After his retirement, Mr. Griffith continued to reside at Burnie, and the Executive Council, realising what the value of his lengthy service in the police force of the State would be on the bench, appointed him a Justice of the Peace for the district of Emu Bay on February 23 of last year. Owing to failing health, however, he rarely took his sent on the bench.

Prior to joining the force, Mr. Griffith was engaged in pioneering work on the West Coast, and at the time of the gold rush on the Queen River he was one of the sturdy pioneers who ventured into the wilds of that quarter of the State in search of the precious mineral, In his younger days he also tried his hand at farming.

He joined the police force at the age of 31, and died at the age of 66. The deceased married Miss Seymour-Wilson of the well-known Midland family, and leaves a widow, one daughter, and two sons. The daughter is Mrs. D. Gilmour, and the sons, Messrs. K. and G. Griffith.

The remains of the deceased were interred at the Wivenhoe general cemetery yesterday in the presence of a large and representative attendance. Most of the business firms were represented; and members of the police force were present from various parts of the North-West Coast. The pall bearers were Sergeants A R. Tierney (Burnie) and H. J. House (Wynyard), Constable H. Godfrey, and Trooper Gordon. The chief mourners were Messrs. Keith Griffith (son) and D. Gilmour (son-in-law), Revs. W, G, Thomas and W. A, Wilson, of Burnie, conducted the burial service. There were many floral tributes, including a wreath from the members of the police force at Burnie.50

Albert Somerville Flexmore, the husband of Jane Louisa Marion Wilson, died on 25 April 1926 in Hobart, Tasmania.

FLEXMORE. On Sunday, April 25, at his residence, "The Elms," Elizabeth-street, Albert Somerville Flexmore.

FLEXMORE. Funeral of the late Albert Somerville Flexmore will arrive at Cemetery, Cornelian Bay, at 4.25 p.m. This Day.51

An obituary was published the day after his death.


The death took place yesterday of Mr. Albert Flexmore, who for 30 years was a committeeman of the Tasmanian Racing Club, prior to which he carried out the duties of judge. Recently, on account of ill-health, he resigned his position on the committee, when feeling reference was made to the splendid work he had rendered during his term of office. The late Mr. Flexmore was for 12 years or so a prominent member of the committee of the Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania.52

The Late Mr. A. Flexmore
The Late Mr. A. Flexmore

Alice Maria Hirst, nee Wilson, the wife of Mark Hugill Hirst, died on 9 December 1928 in Launceston, Tasmania.

HIRST. On December 9, at her residence, Omrah, Mary Street, Launceston, Alice, dearly beloved wife of Mark H. Hirst, aged 67 years. (Private interment, Carr Villa Cemetery.)53

A small obituary was published in the Launceston Examiner.

After a long Illness, Mrs. M. H. Hirst of Mary-street, Launceston, died on Saturday evening. Mrs. Hirst was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Wilson, and was born at "Huntworth," Jericho, 67 years ago. The deceased lady leaves a widower and seven children, four sons, Messrs. James, Paul, George, and Harry Hirst, and three daughters, Misses Joan, Phyllis, and Barbara Hirst.54

After Alice’s death Mark Hugill Hirst remarried on 18 October 1930 to Mildred Isobel Brown in the Registrar's Office, Launceston, Tasmania. Mildred was born on 9 January 1901 in Sidmouth, Tasmania, the daughter of William Andrew Brown and Evelyn Maude Turner.55

Marion Constance Griffith, nee Wilson, died on 19 June 1932 in Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand.56

Clarence Lorenzo Griffith, the husband of Marion Constance Wilson, died in 1935 in Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand.57

George Robert Thirkell Wilson died on 12 October 1938 in Richmond, Tasmania.

WILSON. On October 12, 1938, at his residence, Prospect, Richmond, George Wilson, beloved husband of Isobel Wilson.

WILSON. Interment of the late Mr. George Wilson, of Prospect, Richmond, will take place at Church of England Cemetery, Richmond, on Friday (Tomorrow). Funeral service will be held In St. Luke's Church, Richmond, at 2.45 p.m.58

A report of his funeral was published on 18 October 1938.

Funeral At Richmond

The funeral of Mr. George R. Wilson took place in the Church of England cemetery at Richmond. Mr. Wilson, who lived at Prospect, Richmond, was a successful pastoralist. The service at the graveside was conducted by the Rev. J. E. Atkins, of St. Luke's Church.

The chief mourners were Messrs. Alfred and Seymour Wilson (brothers). Donald and Denis Wilson, Noel Norman, Geof. Griffith, and Seaton and Cecil Brock (nephews), Jack and Charles Campbell, and George, Arthur, and Henry Thirkell (cousins), and Seaton Brock and L. Norman (brothers-in law).

Mr. Wilson was the eldest son of the late Mr. G. Wilson, of Huntworth, Jericho, and among properties managed by him was Lawrenny estate, in the Derwent Valley.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by A. Clark and Son, of Hobart.59

Jane Elizabeth Wilson, nee Thirkell, the wife of George Wilson Snr., died on 30 May 1939 in Battery Point, Tasmania.

WILSON.-On May 30, 1939, at private hospital, Hobart, Jane Elizabeth, widow of George Wilson, eldest daughter of the late Robert Thirkell, of Darlington Park, in her 94th year. No flowers.60

An obituary was published in The Mercury on 1 June 1939.

Member Of Well-Known Tasmanian Family

Mrs. Jane Elizabeth Wilson, who died at Hobart on Tuesday at the advanced age of 93 years, was a member of a well-known Tasmanian family. Her father was the late Robert Thirkell, of Darlington Park, near Cressy. Mrs. Wilson was born at Darlington Park, and lived in the district until her marriage to Mr. George Wilson, a well-known pastoralist of Huntworth, in the Midlands. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson lived at Huntworth for many years, later moving to another part of the district, and finally to Hobart about 40 years ago. There was a family of 10 children, of whom the eldest son, George, died recently at the age of 74 years. The surviving members are Mesdames J. E. Flexmore (Hobart), L. Norman (Hobart), and F. E. Griffiths (Burnie), and Messrs. John Wilson (Claremont), Seymour Wilson (Hobart), and James and Gordon Wilson (New Zealand). Mrs. Wilson's husband died at Bellerive about 30 years ago. There will be a private interment at Cornelian Bay cemetery today.61

Jane Elizabeth was buried on 1 June 1939 in Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart, Tasmania.62 A further short notice was published in the Advocate regarding Jane’s death and her daughter who lived locally.

Late Mrs. J. E. Wilson

Mrs. Y. E. Griffiths, of Burnie, is a daughter of the late Mrs. Jane Elizabeth Wilson, a member of a well known Tasmanian family, who died at Hobart on Tuesday at the advanced age of 93 years. Other surviving members of the late Mrs. Wilson's family are Mesdames J. E. Flexmore and L. Norman (Hobart), Messrs. John Wilson (Claremont), Seymour Wilson (Hobart) and James and Gordon Wilson (New Zealand).63

Seymour Thomas Braidwood Wilson died on 11 November 1939 in Hobart, Tasmania.

WILSON. At Hobart, on November 11, 1939, Seymour Thomas Braidwood, beloved father of Doreen, Denis, and Donald Wilson. At rest.

WILSON. Funeral of the late Mr. Seymour Thomas Braidwood Wilson, will arrive at Crematorium Chapel, Cornelian Bay, on Monday (This Day), at 3 p.m.64

An obituary was published in the Mercury newspaper.

Member Of Midlands Pioneer Family

Mr. Seymour Wilson, who died on Saturday, was a member of the third generation of a pioneer Scottish family of the Tasmanian Midlands. The last of the second generation of the family, Mrs. George Wilson, died recently at Hobart, aged 93.

Mr. Seymour Wilson had for years been a familiar figure in Hobart. From 40 to 45 years ago he was a well-known sheep farmer, occupying the extensive property, Richmond Park, along the lower reaches of the Coal River. Then he acquired Mt. Seymour (now Ceres), where his grandfather established the family in Tasmania nearly 120 yearsago.

Mr. Seymour Wilson was the third eldest son of George Wilson, of Huntworth, Jericho. He leaves three children, Donald, of the Hydro-Electric Department, Dennis (Victoria), and Doreen (Hobart).65

Frances Elizabeth Erskine Griffith, nee Wilson, died on 17 January 1944 in Burnie, Tasmania.

GRIFFITH. On January 17, 1944, at her residence, Alexander street, Burnie, Frances Elisabeth, relict of the late Charles Griffith; aged 77 years.

GRIFFITH. The funeral of the late Mrs. Frances Elizabeth Griffith will leave her late residence, Alexander street, Burnie, THIS DAY (Tuesday), at 4 p.m., for interment in the Wivenhoe cemetery. Friends are invited to attend.66

An obituary was published on 21 January 1944.


The death occurred at her residence, Alexander-street, Burnie, on Monday, of Mrs. Frances Elizabeth Griffith, at the age of 77 years. Mrs. Griffith settled in Burnie with her late husband. Mr. Charles Griffith, who had been transferred to the town as superintendent of police, about 6 years ago.

She is survived by two sons, Keith (Burnie) and Geoff (Hobart), and one daughter, Marjorie (Mrs. D. Gilmour, Somerset).

The funeral took place at the Wivenhoe Cemetery on Monday. Among the many who attended was the Warden of Burnie (Mr. M. A. Whitford) and a number of councillors, Detective-Sergeant H. H. Lewis and Inspector A. R. Tierney.

Services at the home and at the grave side were conducted by Rev. R. C. Brown. Chief mourners were the sons and son-in-law (Mr. D. Gilmour). The carriers were Sergeant E. J. Wicks. Senior Constable C. E. Hlls, Highway Patrol Constable J. Smith and Constable W. Gillespie.

Among the many floral tributes were wreaths from the councillors of Burnie and the outdoor and indoor staffs of the Burnie Council.67

Jane Louisa Marion Flexmore, nee Wilson, died on 27 February 1944.

FLEXMORE. On February 27, 1944, at Hobart, Jeanie Louisa Marian, loved wife of the late Albert Flexmore.

FLEXMORE. Cremation of the late Mrs Jeanie Louisa Marian Flexmore will take place at Crematorium, Cornelian Bay, on Monday (This Day) at 2.30 pm. Funeral service will be held in St. James' Church, New Town, at 2 pm.68

An obituary was published after her funeral at St. James.

Mrs J. L. M. Flexmore

The Christian service given St. James' Church of England, New Town, by the late Mrs Jeanie Louisa Marian Flexmore, was eulogised by Canon C. W. Wilson at a service held at the church yesterday before the cremation at Cornelian Bay. Mrs Flexmore died suddenly on Sunday, but had been in ill-health several years.

Mrs Flexmore and her husband, the late Mr Albert Flexmore, were pioneer members of St. James' Church. Mrs Flexmore was of a generous and charitable disposition, and unobtrusively helped many worthy causes. She was an early member of the Queen Mary Club.

Chief mourners at the service were Mr and Mrs R. M. Page (son-in-law and daughter), Mr A. Wilson (brother), Misses Mary and Patricia Page (grand-children), Mesdames R. Robertson and J. Ratten, Misses Joan Hirst (Launceston), and Doreen Wilson (nieces), Mr G. Griffiths (nephew). Mrs Flexmore' s only son, Archie, was killed in the First World War. A grandson is F-Officer A. Page, RAAF.69

Alice Gertrude Wilson, nee Griffith, died on 15 March 1947 in Hobart, Tasmania.

WILSON.-On March 15, 1947, at a private hospital, Hobart, Alice Gertrude, beloved wife of John Alfred Wilson, of 104 Hampden Road, Hobart. Privately cremated Monday, March 17.70

Mildred Isobel Hirst, nee Brown, the second wife of Mark Hugill Hirst, died in 1947 in Sidmouth, Tasmania.71 Mark died the following year on 23 November 1948 in Launceston, Tasmania.

HIRST. On November 23, 1948, at Launceston, Mark Hugill Hirst, late of Sidmouth, aged 76 years. Private cremation at Carr Villa Crematorium.72

Obituaries were published in the Launceston Examiner and in the Advocate, both essentially the same. The entry from the Advocate follows.


LAUNCESTON, Tuesday.- The death occurred in Launceston today of Mr, Mark Hugill Hirst at the age of 76. Born in Sheffield, England, Mr. Hirst came to Australia with his mother at the age of 10. As a young man he Joined the Tasmanian Education Department and was later head teacher at Perth State School until he left the department and transferred to the Launceston Church Grammar School in January, 1916. At Grammar he was a member of the teaching staff for many years and then bursar. After his retirement in 1936 he lived at Sidmouth and more recently on the North-East.

There is a family of seven - James (Melbourne), Paul (former commander in the,R.A.N. and now in the Forestry Department, Launceston), George (Bridport), Harry (Melbourne), Joan (Launceston), Phyllis (Mrs. Ferris Roberts, Brisbane) and Barbara (Mrs. A. J. Alexander, Kingston Beach). There will be a private funeral at the Carr Villa Crematorium to-morrow.73

Isabella Maria Gage Wilson, nee Brock, the wife of George Robert Thirkell Wilson, died on 26 April 1954 in Hobart, Tasmania.

WILSON. On April 26, 1954, at a private hospital, Hobart, IsabellaMaria Gage, wife of the late George Wilson, of Prospect, Richmond, in her 89th year.

WILSON. Friends of the late Mrs. Isabella M. G. Wilson are respectfully invited to attend her funeral, which will take place on Wednesday Afternoon (Tomorrow). A service will be held at St. Luke's Church, Richmond, at 2.45, after which interment will take place at St. Luke's cemetery, Richmond.74

George R. Thirkell Wilson
George R. Thirkell Wilson
Isabella Maria Gage Brock
Isabella Maria Gage Brock

John Alfred Ernest Wilson died on 7 June 1954 in Lindisfarne, Tasmania. He was buried on 8 June 1954 in the Cornelian Bay Cemetery in Hobart, Tasmania.75 The following obituary was published in the Mercury on Wednesday 9 June 1954.


The funeral took place at Cornelian Bay yesterday of Mr. John Alfred Ernest Wilson. Mr. Wilson died on Monday at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. W. R. Robertson, Rannock, Lindisfarne. He was the remaining member of the third generation of his family in Tasmania.

Born at Huntworth, Jericho, in 1867, he was educated at the Hutchins School. Mr. Wilson founded the Stonor Estate and then assisted his brothers in the establishment of Lawrenny Estate, Richmond Park, and other well-known Tasmanian propertie's.

There are now only three members of his generation of the family living.76

A more extensive biography was published two days later.


Mr. John Alfred Ernest Wilson, whose death occurred at Lindisfarne this week, was the sole remaining male representative in Tasmania of his generation, the third, in a well-known Tasmanian family. His grandfather, George Wilson, settled at Ceres, Mt. Seymour.

Mr. John Wilson was born at Huntworth, Jericho, which then belonged to his father, George Wilson the younger, in 1867, and was educated at the Hutchins School. Later, he farmed Stonor Estate and in the late 90's assisted his brother, George Wilson the third, who was then managing the Lawrenny Estate, Hamilton.

He also assisted his brother, the late Seymour Wilson, in farming Richmond Park on the Coal River, and later cleared and planted an orchard area at Shark Pt. This area, which he pioneered, is now known as Flexmore Park.

Only three of Mr. John Wilson's generation are still alive -James L. C. and Gordon E. Wilson, both of whom are in New Zealand, and a sister, who lives at Kingston Beach.77

Leslie Norman, the husband of Ethel Mary Wilson, died on 13 August 1954 in Hobart, Tasmania.


MR. LESLIE NORMAN, author of a number of books on Tasmania, particularly on its wealth of shipping history, died at Hobart yesterday, after a brief illness, aged 78 years.

In the latter part of his life he was a resident of Kingston Beach.

Among, the books he wrote were "Pioneer Shipping," "100 Years of Yachting," and "Sea Wolves and Bandits."

Mr. Norman was a son of Frederick Norman, principal of the Derwent School at Hobart, and grandson of the Rev. James Norman, for 36 years rector at Sorell.

On his mother's side he was descended from a long line of seafaring folk, the Hurburghs, one of whom, Capt. H. B. Hurburgh, was harbourmaster at Hobart in the days when the port held a forest of masts of windjammers, flying the flags of many nations.

As a young man Mr. Norman was prominent in rowing circles, and always took a keen interest in aquatic sport.

He was secretary of the Derwent Rowing Club, and a life member of the Sandy Bay Rowing Club.

A friend of the late Mr. E. Dwyer-Gray, a former Premier and Treasurer, he was prominent in movements aiming to secure just recognition of Tasmania from the Commonwealth.

He was also prominently associated with the "Come to Tasmania" movement, of which he was its executive officer.

He was a member of the Royal Society and of the Nomenclature Board of Tasmania.

Just before his death he was engaged in the preparation of a vocabulary of the aboriginal dialects of Tasmania.

Mr. Norman is survived by his widow, and three sons, Messrs. Noel and Donald Norman, of Hobart, and Graeme Norman, of Adelaide.

The funeral will be on Monday afternoon.78

Leslie Norman was buried in the Cornelian Bay Cemetery on 16 August 1954 in Hobart, Tasmania.79

Ethel Mary Norman, nee Wilson, the wife of Leslie Norman, died on 23 August 1963, Taroona, Tasmania.80 Ethel was buried in the Cornelian Bay Cemetery on 26 August 1963 in Hobart, Tasmania.81

Gordon Erskine Wilson died on 28 July 1969 in New Zealand.82 Gordon’s wife Evaline Elizabeth Wilson, nee Dagg, died on 26 November 1984 in New Zealand.83

The fate of the following individuals has not been found to date.

  • Beryl Lakeland Wilson, nee Benson, the ex-wife of Seymour Thomas Braidwood Wilson.
  • James Leslie Claude Wilson and his wife Cleta Ann Wilson, nee Thirkell. Apparently they emigrated to New Zealand James is recorded as dying in Napier.
John Horton
John Horton's picture
Claremont House

Ian Byers pointed out the following quote from the Claremont House website on a page detailing the owners of the house (visitors are encouraged to visit the Claremont House website for further information):

Albert Flexmore acquired the property from Bond in 1897. Little is known about Flexmore’s ownership and if any, development of the property. Flexmore was a man of wealth, serving on the committee for the Tasmanian Racing Club and the Royal Agricultural Society. He entertained the Hobart Hunt Club at Claremont House in 1902. Flexmore is responsible for the division of the land, one section which he gave to the Anglican Church for the construction of St. Albans Church.1

The subsequent owner of Claremont House during the period of 1911 to 1919, Kathleen Brock (1890-1958), was a second cousin to George Wilson snr's wife Marian Brock.