Copping, situated on the southern side of the Ragged Tier, was so named after Captain Richard Copping, who built Rochford Hall, at Kellevie, where he lived for many years. His family name is still worthily represented in the neighbourhood, in the persons of Messrs. Archbald J. and Tasman Copping, of Kellevie, and Mr. Amos Copping, of Copping. When Copping, sometimes spoken of as Coppington, was so-called does not appear to have been recorded.
In Walch's "Tasmanian Guide Book" of 1871 no mention is made of it, nor is there in Howard Haywood's "Visitors' and Colonists' Guide" of 1885; but in Middleton and Maning's "Tasmanian Directory and Gazetteer" of 1887 the addresses of settlers there, in what is now known as the Copping district, were variously given as Copping, Bream Creek, and Ragged Tier.
And now we come to something more definite regarding the early history of Copping, as will be seen by the follow- ing paragraph taken from "The Mercury," May 16, 1894:—
"The residents of Coppington petitioned the Minister for Education to have a school placed midway between Coppington and Bream Creek. Such a situation was thought more convenient for the majority of the children, who are now attending the Bream Creek school. Mr. S. O. Lovell (Inspector of Schools for many years, now living in well-earned retirement at Eaglehawk Neck) paid a visit to the locality and made inquiries, the result of which will, no doubt, be made known by the department in the course of a few days."
It will be interesting to add that the petitioners' request was granted, the new school being erected on the angle formed by the junction of old and new roads leading through Bream Creek. This school, still known as the Bream Creek State School, affords educational facilities for the children of Copping to this day.
Within a distance of about five miles there are three public halls, one each in the Ragged Tier districts of Bream Creek, Kellevie, and Copping, and all substantial structures. Strange to say there is now only one recreation ground in use in the three districts, that at Bream Creek, where the annual show is held. At Copping there are also St. Mark's Anglican Church, a general blacksmith's shop, police station, general store, post and telephone office, up-to-date hotel, and a butchering business.
Like its two sister districts, Copping's principal industry is dairying, which is extensively carried on in conjunction with pig raising. Depasturing of sheep, cereal and root cropping, and fruit growing, principally apples, receive some attention. In the last-named connection Messrs. Dransfield Bros. and Amos Copping are worthy of special mention. With the progress and steady development of the district's resources the names of Allanby, Bryan, Brown, Burdon, Bloomfield, Copping, Kingston, Featherstone, Dransfield, Stone, and Tunbridge come most forcibly to mind. 1