Throughout the historical records, Eliza has always been recorded with the surname of "Harnett". Thomas Arnott's youngest daughter, married Richard Housego, the son of John Housego, another 96th Regiment soldier, who had also taken his discharge (with pension) in Van Diemen's Land (and wife Elizabeth Rood). Richard was possibly born in Ireland during his father's posting there, in 1836, and would have accompanied his parents and sister to Norfolk Island, prior to arrival in Van Diemen's Land.
Eliza and Richard married in St. Marks Chapel at Kangaroo Point 1 when she was just fifteen and a half years of age. The witnesses were Richard Arnott and his wife Margaret Farrell (nee Tollins). They then travelled to the North West Coast of Tasmania, maybe because he was posted there during his tenure in the police force. They had children from the far North West back to Hobart and many points in between. Eventually they ended up in Tunnack, possibly because his parents were at Oatlands the nearest big centre to there. By this time Richard was a shoemaker and Eliza is still having children, sadly only ten of the children reach adulthood, and only one of the last few little boys survives much beyond their births.
Child-birth (retention of placenta) eventually sees Eliza die at the age of 41 in 1885, 2 after 25 years of marriage and about 16 children. She is buried in the local Tunnack cemetery and Richard died of consumption aged 49, the following year. 3 Eliza's sixteen children were -
- John (1860-1924) married Lydia (Lily) SMITH (1886-1894) in 1883
- Thomas (1862-1940) - never married
- Richard (1864-1927) married Alice Rebecca BROWN (nee BURRIDGE) (1863-1949) in 1889
- Christina (1866-1956) married Ernest Charles Richard KINGSTON (1861-1932) in 1886
- Clara (1868-1919) married James BYERS jnr (1861-1934) in 1891
- William Arnold (1870-1949) married Alice HARTNETT (1882-1947) in 1905
- Isabella (Belle) (1872-1941) married Frederick (Fred) TAYLOR (c1860-?) in Western Australia in 1910
- Frederick James (1874-1875)
- Walter (Hattie) Albert (1876-1949) - never married
- Amy (1878-1948) married James Alfred GARDNER (1867-1950) in 1901
- Alfred (1880-1881)
- George (1882-1883)
- Edwin (Teddy) (1883-1909) - never married
- Robert (1884-1884)
- Unnamed male (Robert's twin) (1884-1884)
- Ernest (1885-1885)
It is the existence of a prayer book that has been handed down through the Housego family that ties Eliza Harnett to Thomas Arnott, with an entry, the second in a list of births, that states -
Richard Housego born 18 Nov 1836 married 9th Sept 1839 to E. Harnett, born about 1844.
There is also the fact that Richard and Eliza named one of their daughter's - "Christina", which strongly suggests a link to Christiana being a prominent member of the Arnott family.