James Easton was born on 27 May 1794, the third child and second oldest son of James Easton and Agnes Thomson.1 Nothing is known of James’ early life. He was one of James and Agnes Easton’s six children and they were known to reside in a parish called Lilliesleaf, in the county of Roxburghshire, in Scotland.
James married Harriet Rutherford on 10 March 1823 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburghshire, Scotland.2 Harriet was baptized on 16 August 1795 in Ancrum, Roxburghshire, Scotland (as Herriot Rutherford), the second daughter of William and Isabel Rutherford.3 James and Harriet’s marriage has also recorded as occurring on the 16 March 1823 at Ancrum, Roxburgh, Scotland.4 Harriet was recorded as Herriet Rutherford at marriage.
James and Harriet Easton had the following children:
- Isobel Easton was born on 2 April 1824 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.5 Isobel has also been referred to as Isabella.
- Agnes Easton was born on 27 September 1825 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.6
- Harriet Easton was born on 6 April 1830 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.7
- Maney Easton was born on 7 October 1832 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.8 Maney has also been referred to as Marion (James Easton's will), Menzie (1841 census), Mina (1851 census) and Mary (Marriage).
- James Easton was born on 16 September 1834 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.9
The christening records are arranged such that it appears Isobel and Agnes were baptized together, and then Harriet, Maney and James were baptized together. Nothing is known about the children's early life, although later document demonstrate that nearly all the children could read and write. It is known that at a relatively early age, what we would now call their teens, the children were often sent to live with other families as servants. This is probably why some of the children are missing from the family in the 1841 census in which James Easton is recorded as living in the Back Road of Lilliesleaf as follows.10
|James Easton||45||M||Ag. Lab.||Roxburghshire|
Isobel isn't in the census as it is known from later documentation that she had married around this time to one Thomas Rutherford.11 The document in question is the will of her father James Easton who died on 8 November 1849 in Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, Scotland.
James Easton Last Will and Testament.12
In the 1851 census the family are recorded as living on the Main Street, North Side of Lilliesleaf as follows.13
|Harriet Easton||Head||Widow||56||F||House Proprietor||Roxburgh, Ancrum|
|Agnes Easton||Daughter||Unmarried||25||F||Serv.||Roxburgh, Lilliesleaf|
|Mina Easton||Daughter||Unmarried||18||F||Dressmaker||Roxburgh, Lilliesleaf|
|Harriet Rutherford (Easton)||Grand Daur||Unmarried||4||F||Roxburgh, Ancrum|
|Jane Best||Lodger||Unmarried||65||F||Annuitant||Roxburgh, Bowden|
Maney Easton, or Mina as she was known in the 1851 census, but this time as Mary Easton, married John Burns on 22 March 1853 in Lime House, Middlesex, England.14 Their story is told on the Mary Easton and John Burns page.
Agnes Easton emigrated to Van Diemen’s Land from Scotland on the Wanderer, arriving in Hobart on 13 February 1855 with her Uncle Thomas Easton and his family. Agnes was recorded as aged 28, could read and write, and was a House Maid from Roxburghshire.15
Harriet Easton, nee Rutherford, died on 1 September 1874 in Selkirk, Roxburgh, Scotland. Harriett was recorded as the widow of James Easton, farmer, and the daughter of William Rutherford, a farmer, deceased. Harriet's mother was also a Rutherford, Isabella, and she was deceased as well. Harriet died from debility due to old age and the event was registered by her son in law John Burns.18
GROS Statuatory Death Registration for Harriett Easton
General Records Office of Scotland
Agnes White (nee Easton) died on 1 February 1897 in Mount Seymour. The cause of death was recorded as ‘disseminated sclerosis of the spinal cord’. Agnes was recorded as being born in Scotland and the event was registered by the son of the undertaker.19
John Ephraim White, Agnes Easton's husband, died on 17 June 1902 in Bridgewater. John was attended by Dr. Gibson and the cause of death was reported as Bronchitis and Cardiac Syncope. His stated year of birth was 1818 and it was recorded that he had been born in England. John was documented as a farmer, and the event was registered by his son John Ephraim White Jnr.20
Isabella Easton, nee Kerr, James Easton Jnr's wife, died on 22 September 1911 at 136 Croft street, Galashiels. The cause of death was a cerebral embolism, probably a stroke. Isabella was recorded as the wife of James Easton, shoemaker, and as the daughter of Walter Kerr, dairyman, and Helen Gray. Isabella's death was registered by her son Walter who was living at 9 Bridge street, Galashiels.21
James Easton Jnr. died on 14 November 1913 at 4 Croft street, Galashiels. James had been suffering from Pneumonia for four days and the cause of death was recorded as heart disease and senility. James was recorded as a shoemaker, and as the widower of Isabella Easton. His parents were recorded as James Easton, farmer, and Harriet Rutherford, both deceased. James' death was registered by his son Walter who was then living at 17 Walter street, Langholm.22
Mary, or Maney, Burns, nee Easton, died at 11pm on 7 June 1915 at 30, The Square, Newtongrange in Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland. Mary's parents were recorded as James Easton and unknown Rutherford. The cause of death was senile decay and heart failure. George Burns, her son, was present as the informant. Mary's stated age was 83, making her birth year about 1832.23
John Burns, the husband of Mary (Maney) Easton, died six weeks after his wife on 3 August 1915 in Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland.24
The fate of the other children of James Easton and Harriett Rutherford has not been revealed as yet.
- 1. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0038 Lilliesleaf
- 2. GROS OPR Banns and Marriages 795/00 0020 0080 Lilliesleaf and LDS IGI Marriages Batch No. M117952.
- 3. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 780/00 0010 0159 Ancrum and LDS IGI Baptisms Batch No. C117802
- 4. LDS IGI Marriages Batch No. M117805
- 5. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0037 Lilliesleaf and LDS IGI Baptisms Batch No. C117952.
- 6. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0037 Lilliesleaf
- 7. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0038 Lilliesleaf
- 8. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0038 Lilliesleaf
- 9. GROS OPR Births and Baptisms 795/00 0020 0038 Lilliesleaf
- 10. GROS Census 1841 Transcription — Graham Maxwell Ancestry 2011; http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=79501031
- 11. GROS OPR Banns and Marriages XXXX
- 12. GROS Wills & Testaments 1513-1925 SC62/44/14 and SC62/44/18
- 13. GROS Census 1851 Transcription — Graham Maxwell Ancestry 2011; http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=79501032
- 14. Source to be added
- 15. AOT: Index to Passengers & Ships Arrivals - 19th Century; CB7/12/1/3 P4
- 16. AOT Marriage Registration RGD 1856/834
- 17. GROS Statutory Marriages 799/02 0019 Ladhope and LDS IGI Marriages Batch No. M119371
- 18. GROS Statutory Deaths 778/00 0077 Selkirk
- 19. AOT Death Registration RGD 1897/535
- 20. Death Registration Certificate, Registrar Generals Office, Murray Street, Hobart, Tasmania
- 21. GROS Statutory Deaths 775/00 0141 Galashiels
- 22. GROS Statutory Deaths 775/00 0178 Galashiels
- 23. GROS Statutory Deaths 695/0A 0037 Newbattle
- 24. GROS Statutory Deaths 695/0A 0044 Newbattle