Avoca is a small village located 81 kilometres (50 mi) south-east of Launceston in the island of Tasmania. At the 2006 census, Avoca and the surrounding area had a population of 123. Avoca is situated on the banks of the South Esk River and was first settled in the 1830s. It was originally named St. Paul's Plains by the explorers who surveyed the area in 1833. The area was officially settled in 1834 as a farming, coal and tin mining village. Today mines in the area have closed and Avoca serves only as a farming community. St. Paul's Plains Post Office opened on 1 June 1832 and was renamed Avoca in 1837. Source: Wikipedia There is also an Avoca History page on the Fingal Valley History web site.