Campbell Town

Description

Campbell Town is a town in Tasmania, Australia, on the Midland Highway. At the 2006 census, the town had a population of 772. Campbell Town was originally one of the four garrison towns linking Hobart and Launceston. Campbell Town Post Office opened on 1 June 1832. Today, it acts as the only major rest area on the Midland Highway, with toilets, a park, a large car park and a range of food outlets. Campbell Town is also the retail centre for much of the southern part of the Municipality. One of Campbell Town's features is the convict-built Red Bridge, the oldest bridge on the National Highway. It was named by Governor Macquarie after his wife, Elizabeth Campbell, as was the river passing through the town, the Elizabeth River. Source: Wikipedia