Antill Ponds

Description

Antill Ponds is a region in the midlands of Tasmania, "So named by Governor Macquarie in memory of Major Antill, of the 48th Regiment. (G. Wk. Rex). Source: "TASMANIAN NOMENCLATURE." The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) 16 Sep 1911: 10. Web. 2 Jan 2014; http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10114401. The town was, for a time, home to a hotel called Halfway House, "because of its equi-distance between Hobart and Launceston". Source: "ANCIENT INN ON MAIN ROAD DELICENSED." The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) 31 Dec 1932: 12. Web. 2 Jan 2014; http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article24725275.