Deloraine

Description

Deloraine is a municipality on the Meander River, in the central north of Tasmania, Australia. It is 50 km west of Launceston and 52 km south of Devonport along the Bass Highway. It is part of the Meander Valley Council... The region was explored in 1821 by Captain Roland, who was searching for farm land. The land was granted to new settlers, and the town is now a major agricultural centre, with a large number of farms of all types in the area. The town got its name from a character in the poem The Lay of the Last Minstrel, written by sir Walter Scott.[2] Deloraine Post Office opened on 29 October 1836. Source: Wikipedia

Pages using this term...