Rhyndaston, a location in the midlands of Tasmania, was formerly known as Flat Top Hill, until the establishment of a Post Office there in 1881. NEW POST-OFFICE.-We are indebted to the courtesy of the secretary to the postal department for the information that a post-office will be opened at Flat Top Hill to-day, at the residence of Mr Ed. R. Raynes, who has been appointed post-master.... Advantage has also been taken of the establishment of a postal town there to adopt a more euphonious name for the place, and henceforth the erstwhile "Flat Top" will be known as Rhyndaston. The township is situated at the northern end of the tunnel, and a deal of settlement has taken place there since the railway was opened. Source: "OUR FORTNIGHTLY SUMMARY." Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899) 1 Jul 1881: 2. Web. 1 Jan 2014 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38223928.