Evandale

Description

Evandale is a small town in northern Tasmania, Australia. It sits on the banks of the South Esk River 18 km south of Launceston. A classified historic town, many of its buildings remain largely in original condition. It is famous for a popular Sunday market and as host to the annual World Penny Farthing bicycle Championships. At the 2006 census, Evandale had a population of 1,059. There is a primary school, churches, parks, pubs, shops and a fire station. Nearby locations include Nile, Deddington and Perth. Originally founded as Collins Hill by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1811, it was also known as Morven before being named Evansdale (1829) and finally Evandale in 1836 after the surveyor and painter George William Evans, who spent much of his later life in Van Diemen's Land. Many continued to call it Morven beyond mid-century, including in official contexts. Evandale Post Office opened on 1 June 1835. Source: Wikipedia

Pages using this term...