Balaklava

Description

The town of Balaklava is located in South Australia, 92 kilometres north of Adelaide in the Mid North region. It is on the banks of the Wakefield River, 25 kilometres east of Port Wakefield. The first European settlers in the area were James and Mary Dunn who opened a hotel in 1850. The town was laid out by Charles Fisher in 1869 and named it after the Battle of Balaklava. He built large grain stores on the tramway from Hoyleton to the port at Port Wakefield, intending to encourage farmers to settle near the town.The first Hotel erected in the township of Balaklava was the Balaklava Hotel, later called the Royal. Thomas Saint borrowed the finances from Thomas James Manton and applied for the Hotel Keepers Licence on 17/11/1870 and was granted licence No.17 of 1871 on 04/04/1871. Balaklava used to be on the railway line from Adelaide to Gladstone, with a junction to Port Wakefield. The line north from Hamley Bridge (connecting to Adelaide) opened in 1878 as a narrow (1,067 mm) gauge line. It was converted to broad gauge (1600mm) in 1927 and still exists as far as Balaklava. Source: Wikipedia