Stanley

Description

<em>Stanley is a town on the north-west coast of <a href="?q=Tasmania">Tasmania</a>, Australia. Travelling west, Stanley is the second-last major township on the north-west coast of Tasmania, Smithton being the larger township in the Circular Head municipality. According to the 2006 census, Stanley had a population of 458. In 1825 the Van Diemen's Land Company was granted land in north-western Van Diemen's Land, including the Stanley area. Employees of the company from England settled in the area in October 1826. It was named after Lord Stanley, the British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies in the 1830s and 1840s, who later had three terms of office as British Prime Minister. A port opened in 1827 and the first school opened in 1841. The Post Office opened on 1 July 1845; it was known as Circular Head until 1882. In 1880 the first coach service between Stanley and Burnie was established.</em> Source: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley,_Tasmania">Wikipedia</a>