Whitefoord

Very little seems to be known regarding the early history of Whitefoord, a not Inconsiderable mixed farming district in the Midlands ot Tasmania, 14 miles distant from Oatlands. To the immediate north of Whitefoord lie Baden and Mount Seymour; to the west, Tunnack; to the south, Woodsdale; and to the east, Stonehenge. It may be taken for granted that the
district of Whitefoord received its name from the late Sir. Thomas Whitefoord, a magistrate at Oatlands many years ago. According to Middleton and Manning's "Tasmanian Directory and Gazetteer" of 18S7, Messrs. Martin Bourke, Henry Hart, James and Joseph Scott, and Thomas Palmer were then located there. Of these, only Mr. James Scott survives. But worthy representatives of all the above-named early settlers remain to carry on the good work, assisted by later settlers in Messrs. James and David N. Wilson, James Powell, Peter Palmer, Austin Bresnehan, and a few others.

Grain-growing, sheep farming, potato culture, dairying, pig raising, and depasturing of cattle constitute the district's principal industries. Although not generally considered an early district, an illustration of what can be done in the direction of early sowing and feeding off Is shown In the case of Mr. David N. Wilson, of Ponsonby Vale. In February last he sowed a fallowed field of 6 - 1/2 acres with Algerian oats, using 90 lb. of super to the acre. So productive was the growth that, by the end of May, Mr. Wilson had already fattened 60 sheep on it.

Whitefoord enjoys a daily mall service, connecting with Parattah, 10 miles away. The post and telephone office is located at the residence of Mr. James Powell, Mrs Powell being the official in charge. A short distance away stands the State School building, at present closed on account of there being an insufficient number of children of school age In the district.

All things considered, Whitefoord is a very interesting locality. These brief notes may serve to make readers better acquainted with an ideal closer settlement area. 1

  • 1. KNOW TASMANIA - The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) 3 July 1929: p 5

Locations: