Purpose and Related Resources
This website using a Ships taxonomy to classify all the references to shipping. For that reason this site does not intend to exhaustively document ALL shipping to Australia. Some good resources online already exist that have contributed to that purpose:
- Chronological list of Convict Ships arriving at Port Jackson 1788-1849, and Item list of the various Papers for each vessel (PDF) (State Records Authority of New South Wales)
- Musters and other papers relating to convict ships (State Records Authority of New South Wales)
- Convict Ships to Australia: The Perth Dead Person's Society resource is extracted from Charles Bateson's "The Convict Ships 1787-1868".
- Convict Ships of Australia: Convict Records have made use of the British Convict transportation register available at the State Library of Queensland.
- Convict Ships Index: Free Settler or Felon creator Jen Willets has created a partial index of Convict ships.
The classification of ships on this website is based on one entry per ship. If a ship had multiple sailings then they are dealt with in the ship's entry with each sailing identified inside brackets, e.g. (1). If there were two vessels with the same name then they have separate numbered entries identified using roman numerals, e.g. Andromeda II. The term description of each entry has the following sections (if the relevant information is available):
- Online Resources