This section collates Tasmanian location information presented on this site.
Tasmania (abbreviated as Tas and known colloquially as "Tassie") is an island state, part of the Commonwealth of Australia, located 240 kilometres (150 mi) to the south of the Australian continent, separated by Bass Strait. The state includes the island of Tasmania, the 26th largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. The state has a population of 507,626 (as of June 2010), of whom almost half reside in the greater Hobart precinct. Tasmania's area is 68,401 square kilometres (26,410 sq mi), of which the main island covers 62,409 square kilometres (24,096 sq mi). Source: Wikipedia: Tasmania
The following Tasmanian locations are mentioned on this site:
The following Tasmanian Hotels are discussed on this site:
The following resources specifically deal with Tasmanian locations.
- Tasmanian Registration Districts : A page on the Rootsweb AUS-Tasmanian Genealogy Mailing List site developed by Douglas Burbury that details the Tasmanian Registration Districts and their historical changes and development.
- Tasmanian Town and Property Maps, Places and Names : A page on the Rootsweb AUS-Tasmanian Genealogy Mailing List site provided by Malcolm Ward listing resources relating to Tasmanian places and names.
- Changes in Tasmanian Place Names : A page on the Tasmanian Family History Society Inc. Hobart Branch website detailing changes to Tasmanian place names.
- Dennison, C. J.: Here's Cheers: A Pictorial History of Hotels, Taverns and Inns in Hobart; HCC, 2008. (a must have resource for those interested in the history of early hotels)
- Through Tasmania : A series of numbered articles written by T. P. H. Jones, which vividly describe Tasmania during the 1880s. These articles, 99 in all, were printed in The Mercury newspaper between 1883 and 1885. Carol Brill, on the Heaven and Hell Together website, transcribed those articles and they are available on Pandora, Australia's Web Archive.