This John Bailey (1809-1891) is often mistaken for similar named individuals of other Bailey families but the relationship is either incorrect, or completely false -
- John Bailey (1818-1883); son of Samuel Bailey (c1786-1866), and Sarah Pantry (1780-c1827); who married Frances (aka Fanny) Kenny (c1830-1875) in Melbourne in 1854
- Samuel Bailey (c1786-1866); is the nephew of John Bailey (1792-1866) and Catherine Richards (c1797-1856)
- John Bailey (1792-1866); is the husband of Catherine Richards (c1797-1856); convicted Aldington "Blues" gang smuggler from Kent
- John Potten Bailey (1820-1883); son of John Bailey (1792-1866) and Catherine Richards (c1797-1856)
- and other numerous individuals with the 'John Bailey' name
This John's parents are Samuel and Ann Bailey, as detailed on his baptism record. 1 His mother Ann, is strongly believed to be Ann PAGE (1778-?), brother of Capt. George James PAGE (1772-1865) and the aunt of Samuel Page (1810-1878), the well known Oatland's based operator of stagecoaches between Hobart and Launceston during the 19th century. This link between the Bailey and Page families will be explored in detail as the Bailey family story unfolds.
Samuel and Ann had three known children that have been traced.
- Thomas Bailey (1805-1848) never married
- Henry Bailey (1807-?)
- John Bailey (1809-1891)
- 1. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 - [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA; FHL Film Number: 374357